Concordia Historical Institute
The Department of Archives and History of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod. From its beginning in 1847, the Synod has provided for its archives, first entrusting the responsibility for maintaining the church's records to the synodical secretary. In 1927 the Institute was incorporated by interested individuals in the church to provide for the preservation of its records. In 1959 the Synod designated the Institute as its official repository.