GUGGISBERG - Surname Project (Family Tree DNA)
GUGGISBERG, GUGISBERG, GOUGGINSPERG - these are just 3 variants of our surname, whose oldest ancestor is believed to be Niklaus Guggisberg, farmer, who lived in the mid 1300's on the flank of Gurten Mountain near Bern, Switzerland. Today there are 22 branches of our surname, 90% still live in Switzerland whereas the remaining 10 % are descendants of emigrants now living in France, the United States, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Venezuela and Australia. According to the records, the oldest traces of these branches are located in the small villages of Belp, Englisberg, Köniz, Niedermuhlern, Obermuhlern and Zimmerwald all within ½ mile from oneanother and from the Gurten Mountain. The geographic proximity strongly hints to a common male ancestor from whom the surname originated from. The Y-chromosome DNA test is designed to prove that this scenario is indeed true.