Knox County Courts of Pleas and Quarter Sessions Index, 1792-1922
From the Knox County Public Library, the Knox County (Tennessee) Courts of Pleas and Quarter Sessions index is a complete listing for all dockets from the creation of Knox County, Tennessee in 1792 to 1900. The County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions was the primary court handling most local issues during the early period of Tennessee. The county court was comprised of Justices of the Peace (J.P.s), each representing a defined area which they served. The J.P.s were appointed by the Territory or State until 1836, elected thereafter. They were given sole jurisdiction over cases involving less than $50 in property or fines, handling all the minor civil and criminal matters such as tax disputes, probate, debt disputes, etc... as well as performing marriage rights. Cases involving more than $50 in property or fines, criminal matters or appellate matters were handled by the district Superior Court of Law and Equity until 1809, the circuit courts thereafter.